- Project Type: Equipment replacement
- Industry: Brewpub
- Funding Need: $100,000
- Year Established: 1997
- Brewhouse size: 15 bbl
- Restaurant Capacity: 150 people
- Time needed for work to be completed: 6 months
- Repayment of Loan Term: 5 years
- Utility Company or ESCO: ANTEA Group
Cougan's engaged Antea to perform a comprehensive energy audit, and the results have identified specific areas where outdated equipment is used throughout the brewpub. Upgrading to energy star equipment and installing usage monitoring systems will improve the operational efficiency of the brewhouse and kitchen, and reduce our carbon footprint..
The project scope includes:
- Install sub-metering around critical process control points based on mass balance data
- Install LED lighting
- Dishwasher, sinks, faucets etc... - new 'smart' technology installation
- Brewhouse - glycol chiller compressor upgrade, Energy Efficient motor and pump replacement
- Cellar - EE refrigeration systems for walk in coolers and serving tank chillers
- Energy Use Reduction: 25%
- Water Use reduction: 20%
Cougan's Brewery and Grill was established in Glendale, Arizona in 1997 to bring craft beer and great food to the dessert community just west of Phoenix. Located across the street from the Seattle Mariners/San Francisco Giant's spring training stadium, Cougan's attracts fans before and after games as well as the community public house for locals from the neighboring communities. We've won awards for our hand crafted ales, including a Gold for the Summer Wheat at the 2010 GABF.
The project will also include staff training on sustainable manufacturing in the brewery and kitchen to enable the staff to look for additional opportunities to save during their daily work and home life. We will share our experiences with our patrons and lenders to spread best practices learned.